SITE NEWS
  • EXCITING NEW PLOTS COMING SOON, LOOK FOR UPCOMING POSTS IN THE PLOTTING AREA THAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ON THE SITE TO JOIN!!
  • Eve, The Snake, And The Garden

Morrigan Asara

Morrigan had been walking the ailes of the Dark Horse Crossroads for some time. Her thin fingers would reach forth and slowly slip one tome after another from the shelves, plop it open, and scan over any number of pages within. She'd been told this arcane bookstore was one of the finest in the city. While it was true many of these books were quite informative and could even be unspeakably useful in the right circumstance, there wasn't that one book that would all but cry out for her to purchase. What was worse was her relative lack of funds. A tome of true importance containing knowledge she sought would not be found in the bargain bin -- unless its possessor was a clueless clod. Still, she would deal with that unfortunate circumstance once it arose; at least ARMA was paying her an amount that afforded Morrigan the opportunity of visiting such establishments.

The Magess collected another book a proceeded to gleen an understanding of its worth. Her gloved fingers slid over the pages with more care than the tome might warrant, but the proprieter of this establishment would find no cause to complain. Unless, of course, they were allergic to flesh. Since arriving in New York City, where wandering the countryside of a ruined world was no longer necessary and luxuries were slowly returning to markets, Morrigan had begun trying on various outfits. As a creature that showed up with little more than a 'scarf' that covered her breasts, the cut down the center extending from the collar to her belly hardly weighed on her thoughts. That it gave a generous view on the inside curves of her breasts might disturb others; though Morrigan hardly cared about their 'suffering' given how it paled in comparison to just about any other, real suffering.

Thin metal raced up either side of the cut providing a form-fitting and never wrinkled appearance. A clasp at the apex just over where her legs met kept the two halves secured. Meanwhile the ornate swirls of metal about her shoulders provided mostly cosmetic protection; Morrigan doubted a melee opponent would aim for her shoulder guards with so much of her body exposed as it was. On the other hand, a melee opponent wasn't suppose to get that close to a Mage.

A pair of black, leather pants reached down her legs and to the block heel, knee-high boots. Meanwhile her staff was carefully secured along her back to free both hands to craddle the books. There were few material possessions she cared for in the world, and they were almost always something to do with magic. It literally kept her alive; she saw no reason to not to appreciate its beauty or power.

Guest Guinevere Pendragon

So many bookstores and one massive library. Nothing. There was nothing to show for her efforts. Two days and she had read perhaps one hundred or more books, none of which made any mention of medieval arcane runes. And now they all seemed to run together in one long, endless novel in her head. The writings of men (and some women) who knew nothing of how life was in the era that she was searching for...that the runes of her grimoire were written in.

She could hear Guinevere tsk, tsk inside her head and it made the young blonde want to scream. But then people really would think she was crazy. No matter that wherever she went people caught her having entire, one-sided conversations with herself but only because they could not hear the responses of Guinevere.

Guin sighed and looked through the window of the last bookshop she was going into that day. Was this number 15 or 16? Google had said that it was a specialty shop that dealt only with arcane histories. That alone gave her hope, but she would not put her cart before the horse. Not yet, at least. Come now, girl, must thou vex us so with this endless laboring? Reaching up she pinched the bridge of her nose and shut her eyes; her tell when it came to being exasperated with the voice inside her head. There were far too many people on the streets for her to tell the voice to shut up.

A chime above the door announced her arrival, though there weren't many to tell. A clerk at the register and Guin could see perhaps a handful of people meandering around the store. She clutched at the strap of a leather messenger bag that hung across her torso and carried the heavy grimoire against her hip. It had been a constant weight there since she had started this journey of the truth about it's contents; of which she was the only one that could see, so far.

Countless times she had asked different people what they saw when they looked inside. Each time it was the same answer: blank pages. Nothing. And they always asked her the same question: Are you ill? No! Or maybe? Guin didn't know anymore. But she was obsessed with learning what these symbols meant. So now here she was, wandering sheepishly into the store to the first row of shelves. Blue eyes scanned the title of each book, pulling some out at random to open them and scan the pages for any indication that they might be of help to her.

The ones she thought had promise she kept, until there were five books alone from this aisle that she took to a nearby table and sat with. Taking out the grimoire she sat with it in her lap, propped up against the table and open to the first page of runes while on the table in front of her she had the five books open to specific chapters and started to compare each for any similarities. 

Morrigan hardly paid attention to the door opening. Customers were common even in the world she'd come from; even if most 'shops' were confined to caves of Aura's allies. So it took a while before the Magess happened to pass by the table where Guinevere made herself comfortable. Unable to help herself, her golden rings shifted and beheld the quick research the woman had delved into. Evidently she'd mistaken a store for a library. It brought the faintest of smiles to her lips at the mild act of defiance. What was truly captivating, however, was the item being researched; yet the Magess continued on without stopping.

Two minutes later the raven haired woman made her way back to the table on the otherside from Guinevere. Slowly she set two books down before with equal care Morrigan removed the staff from its clasps along her back to prop it against the table so she could sit down. The chair slid out with one hand and the shameless woman settled in across from the studious 'customer.'

For a moment Morrigan looked across at the other woman. It was important to study the person engaged in research as much as the research itself. If Guin was a clueless thing delving into an art she was better never knowing, it would be Morrigan's responsibility to relieve her of the book before she did something foolish. On the other hand -- and which seemed to be the case -- if there was even a sliver of potential present then how could she ignore a woman in need? With that in mind, Morrigan slowly slid one of the books she'd brought with her across the table. "You would have better luck with this," the Magess said to explain her uninvited act.

"I have spent some amount of time here today. Twill hasten a more accurate translation." A matter that might not have exactly brought a smile to the clerk's face concerning Morrigan herself. Was she going to buy something? Well that remain to be seen. Fortunately, it wasn't like the store was abruptly brimming with people. Space wasn't quite at a premium. "I must admit, your research has me interested. Have you been studying it for long?"

Guin could feel the beginnings of a headache and they always started at the very top center of her skull before radiating outward to encompass her whole head. These books where no more help than any of the others she had read. One was a brief history about the word arcane, another was a history of how it came into society and the last three were just fictional novels about characters that had the ability to use the arcane magics. Yes, there was most definitely a headache. Add to that the laughter of Guinevere inside her head and Guin just thumped her head down right there on the table. Never mind that the proprietor of the store was giving her hard looks that said to either buy something or get out.

She did not lift her head when another of the patrons took the seat across from her, nor when she heard the sound of a book being slid across the table in her direction. But the words intrigued her enough to look; first at the book being offered and second at the one who offered it. Guin, being an actor at Ren Faires across the country her entire life had seen some odd people in her day, so Morrigan did not shock her in the least. "Are you certain?"

Closing the five books in front of her, she stacked them neatly in the order that they would be placed back on the shelves in and put them to the side before bringing Morrigan's offering closer to her. Guin briefly scanned the front and back of the book before opening it. Indeed it was to be helpful and her blue eyes lit with excitement and new hope the more she read. The beginning of the book spoke about the basics of arcane magic and the difference between light and dark magics. It even listed many notable arcane users throughout history. The name that perked the interest of both Guin and her somewhat annoying alter-ego was Merlin. Had magic actually existed before the Nevus?

Deeper into the book and she was coming to depictions of the runes that she was seeing in her grimoire. "No, not long. I am but a novice. So far I haven't been able to translate any of the text in my book. But this," she held up the one that Morrigan had offered her, "this will be a big help with that. Thank you." Gése, tell her that she has been like a beam of moonlight in a darkened night! No...she was not going to say that. Could she see the runes too?! Guin wasn't sure how she felt about that... Her conscious was at war with itself; grateful for the help that had been offered, wanting more but also suspicious of the motive that had driven the woman to extend her generosity and aid. Guin didn't want her book taken away by someone who would be more adept at using it. "How did you know I was trying to translate?"

Novice? The pretty woman did seem to have that air about her. For one, she was studying out in public. Someone more accomplished might be less inclined to share or even offer others a glimpse in to their world. This one didn't seem to have any of that. A measure of suspicion crept into her eyes after only a little while, but then it didn't take a Master of the Art to wonder why Morrigan offered to help. So inexperienced, but already studious to know not everyone could be trusted.

"Twas the only logical case. You sought to learn more about one book from another," the Magess explained. "If you were only seeking the most basic knowledge of magic, you would read one book at a time cover to cover. Unless you are as alien to this world as I; twould not surprise me if others learned in parallel what we learn in serial."

She paused for a moment before her golden eyes shifted in the direction of the counter. "Tis a single spell you seek to learn? If tis the entire book," Morrigan pushed the second book forward just a bit, "I would recommend purchasing both of these. Can you afford them?"

Perhaps Morrigan would not find a book from this store today. Instead she might find something far more interesting. She loved learning new spells, but a novice seeking to learn on her own? It certainly intrigued Morrigan. Not aligned with either ARMA or the Order, she wagered. There was no recollection of Guin around ARMA, and Morrigan would presume the Order would import whatever they didn't already have to aid with study rather than send a young Mage out into the world on their own. Mages were not common. Losing one so early in their development would be a crime. At least Morrigan hoped this Order was not the sort that only wanted the "fittest" to survive.

A smile spread over her dark lips. "My name is Morrigan. If tis any assistance I can provide..." Happy wasn't the right word. She would be interested, however, in both Guin and her book.

Guin looked at the stack of books she had taken from the shelves, then looked at the grimoire in her lap before her attention shifted back up to the woman across the table from her. "I suppose it does look rather obvious now that I see it from your perspective." The way she spoke, it stirred the spare soul that lived within her body and drew her nearer to the surface of absolute consciousness. Guin inhaled deeply, a tactic she'd found that kept Guinevere from jumping into the driver seat when Guin wasn't ready for her to. 

Exhaling she put the first book down and reached for the second book. This she only gave a cursory look behind the cover. "The way you speak. You're not from around here." Tis obvious! "I want to eventually learn the entire book. But learning it one spell at a time is going to be the only way I can. An overload of information too suddenly wouldn't do anything but give me panic attacks and..." she started to trail off into silence, realizing that Morrigan (as she had introduced herself to be) hadn't asked why.

"My name is Guin," she gave the shortened version because only the First went by their full shared name. "You seem to know your way around these things," she placed a hand on the two books, "I would be grateful if you could teach me." She put the grimoire back into her messenger bag and pushed her chair back so she could stand. "I can pay you, of course. Not much."

The two books in her right hand, she grabbed the other five in her left and placed them back into the empty slots that they had originally come from. "I'll buy these two, to help study on my own. But I want you to teach me what these books can't." I would meet this woman! Not now though. Eventually she would let the First out to play meet and greet with the strange creature that had offered unsolicited assistance. "Do you like tea? Or coffee? This man behind the counter is starting to have smoke billow out of his ears." 

A soft, short note rose behind closed lips at the woman's observation. No, not from around 'here' she concurred. If these Human books of 'Science' were to be believed Morrigan wagered her home were many of these 'light-years' some distance. Or perhaps it was in one of these fanciful 'alternate dimensions' -- that certainly sounded thrilling. To think she might have crossed a 'dimensional divide' or somesuch. Suppose, in a way, something had summoned Morrigan and others like her to this world much in the same manner she conjured all manner of terror to set upon her enemies. Praytell then who sought to set her against which foes? A curious question without an apparent way to deduce any meaningful answer. Perhaps someday it would become apparent; she would keep an eye open for signs.

The entire book. Morrigan smiled. Ambitious. This young thing had a goal. An obtainable one and not full of idle fancy. True it would take practice and patience -- a skill not all Mages had, sadly -- but if she were as dedicated to the cause as she seemed there was no doubt Guin would succeed.

Guin trailed off and soon changed topics before her new acquaintence could respond. Morrigan hadn't minded the unrequested exposition, in fact. Not quite how Morrigan would have put it -- panic attacks? Sounded dreadful -- but the reasonableness of her approach was apparent. Only a fool would try to learn an entire tome at once. That or an exceptionally fast learner for a novice. A prodigy, for instance; though they were not without their pitfalls.

But then they got to the crux of their conversation, didn't they? Could Morrigan train this young thing to be a Mage? The two rose in unison as Guin decided to change venues. "My dear, twould be my privilege." For payment? Hardly necessary. It was a matter Morrigan would address at a more suitable time. A Mage should not extort a fellow Mage. Requiring tribute for aiding a village or some hapless wanderer was fair enough, as the Mage performed a service. Exchange of knowledge and watering the seed of potential in a young Mage was not a service. Twas   duty.

Besides, it wouldn't hurt to be a positive influence in someone's life. Cassandra was already surrounded by friends and members of ARMA. Guin didn't seem to have as much support, being on her own.

With a slight bow, Morrigan accepted Guin's request. "That we will do together." Books were only so useful. Real experience came from experimentation and necessity -- facets of magic Morrigan knew well. Long as Guin was committed, they should be able to cover the basics at an accelerated rate. They could move on to the much more interesting spells and discuss forging new and exotic ones never seen before.

Perhaps Morrigan would even have a chance to council this young Mage on how to keep her mind open to the possibilities all around her. So many people opted for safety. Why limit yourself to safe or socially comfortable spells? A Mage only need to keep their wits about them. No need to destroy entire regions of land because you could -- honestly, who did that? Azazel.

A soft laugh followed Guin's comment about the clerk. Surely the man was not so ill-tempered. After all, Morrigan had been drifting about for some time prior to Guin's arrival. Or perhaps it was because of that he might be wondering if either would buy anything. "Your people do have an interesting choice in tea," she remarked. "I believe I prefer it to 'coffee,' however." There were many aromas to a light, carefully brewed cup of tea. Others had described the many types of coffees as well, but there was something heavier about that particular beverage. Sharper. And then there was talk about some dangerous side effects... such as people all but turning into monsters in the morning without their 'fix.' Suppose twas no different than alcohol, however; which could hardly be considered a healthy choice in life. Some tasted far better than others, however.

"Twould be pleasant to share a cup with you," Morrigan added with a smile. Entirely true. Conversation, possibly study. It was important they get to know one another if they would be working together. Trust was important; you had to know the other person took magic use carefully and wouldn't end up killing one or both present due to gross negligence.

With only two blocks to walk from the bookstore, Guin led her new friend to a nearby Starbucks. Their tea was not as good as something freshly brewed at home, but that was too far a walk and Guin had not ridden her bicycle this day. “Oh I agree, wholeheartedly, about tea over coffee. There is nothing quite as soothing.” Over the door of the Starbucks was an automated chime that dinged as they entered and a few of the patrons plus the barista looked in their direction; but it was just a cursory glance before they returned to whatever they were doing before the arrival of Guin and Morrigan. “Do you have a particular favorite? I am a peppermint tea girl, myself.” But alas she would not be able to have one this day.

As they approached the counter, Guin put in her order for a brewed Earl Grey and a chocolate croissant before stepping aside so that Morrigan could place her order. Quickly, before the black-haired beauty could produce a payment, Guin shoved at the barista some folded bills that would pay for their drinks and food with enough left for the tip jar. Smiling at her companion they moved to the side of the line to await their order. “Thank you, for the books,” she patted the bag hanging at her hip. “And for agreeing to help tutor me. I have a few tame abilities under my belt already, but this book will greatly enhance them and help teach me new powers.”

In true Starbucks fashion, their order was announced with two misspelled and mispronounced names. A roll of blue eyes accompanied a brief smile as she took her tea and croissant and with Morrigan headed out to one of the sidewalk tables. It was too nice a day not to sit outside. “What do you do for a living? If you don’t mind my asking.” Steam rose from the amber liquid in her mug and it smelled divine, but she wouldn’t touch it yet. Guin tore off a piece of the croissant she had purchased and tossed it into her mouth. It was sweet and fattening, but she did not worry.

As they slipped out of the confines of the store, Morrigan retrieved her black staff with its two foot-long horns at the top and a small assortment of raven feathers and dragon teeth. True, these Humans had 'paved' much of their world in rock and stone, but it was still habitual for her to pull out her stave. Perhaps she liked the attention it drew, or merely that it would be that much faster she could respond to some fool harassing her on the street. Their journey to a nearby 'Starbucks' wasn't terribly long either; suppose that shouldn't surprise Morrigan any more given the relative lack of pervassive and eternal war this world had.

Morrigan looked overhead at the dinging sound before her golden eyes dropped to the interior. Bells? Was someone trying to monitor for spectral creatures invisible to the Human eye? Guin's voice drew the Mage's attention again, however, back to the familiar topic. "Of your teas?" A light tap upon her lips for a moment in thought. "No, I fear I have not sampled enough to say." Peppermint tea? Morrigan hadn't recalled trying that one yet. Unfortunately given the menu it seemed as if they would not be sampling one together this day. Well, if they were going to be studying together Morrigan would have to come prepared next time.

Once Guin was done the somewhat outlandishly dress Mage stepped forward. Her eyes strayed on the menu as she ignored the person taking the order completely. Black, Green, Chai, Earl Grey, Zen... After a moment her gaze fell to the Barista. "Earl Grey. And," her eyes shifted to the transparent vessel on the counter, "a Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffin." Whatever cream cheese was.

And just like that Guin shoved some money across the counter. Morrigan's eyes widened a bit at the unanticipated intrusion. A slow smile slipped over Morrigan's dark lips however at Guin's non-verbal explanation. Generosity. It was rather shocking to find so much generosity in this world. Resources were tighter than they once were from what Morrigan understood, but these people still found enough not to horde and claw at one another over bare necessities. A woman could become complacent in such a world... it was something Morrigan was keeping a careful eye on to make sure that didn't happen.

"Those that seek knowledge, tempered with patience, deserve the power they shall find," Morrigan replied calmly. "Tis my privilege." There was a great deal they could discuss, but the more experienced Mage was mindful not to dump it all upon such a young creature too soon. Let her become acclimated to the Art and the details will come in due time. Morrigan herself was not rushing around like some drug addict -- a new level of life she'd discovered coming to this world -- for a 'fix.'

Soon enough their orders were prepared and Morrigan stepped forward. Unlike Guin, however, Morrigan lifted her finger from the bar where her hand rested. A small spark of mana shot forth, 'rebound' or turned before the back counter, and zapped the unattentive one in the right ass cheek. Of course Morrigan turned with drink in hand as if nothing had happened. Just a staic electricity discharge from something behind the creature -- nothing at all to do with her. They might as well mispronounce the name 'Hitler' by saying her name wrong. Even Humans knew of a Morrigan in their past, did they not?

The door shoved open, the Magess slipped outside to join Guin with a smile. As they got comfortable, Guin inquired a bit further about the stranger that'd entered her life. "Magical research for ARMA," she replied casually. Her fingers reached down and slowly peeled a chunk of the muffin free. A dob of off-white filling clung to the piece to which Morrigan brought up for inspection. "Cream. Cheese." Well it had to be the white stuff.  The muffin was the shape and the shape consisted of the bready substance. Cream Cheese. A spreadable, viscuous cheese. Curious. Ah, "Before I arrived in this world," just to give a bit of backstory, "I was a Mage that fought in the endless War of Two Dragons. I wager someday I will find myself in that war again as both Dragons have been pulled into this world." She smiled for Guin's benefit. Morrigan left out the part where Aura had been vanquished in battle and her allies ground into the dirt. She herself had only escaped due to an artifact she'd kept on her person for such an event. Fortunately across the ocean it would be some time before Azazel grew that bold. The European countries she'd cross through on her Westward journey from Siberia where she'd reappeared would not be as lucky.

"What is it you do, Guin?" A novice Mage seemingly unaligned couldn't be supporting herself through mere magic tricks, could she? Morrigan wondered if she should convince the girl to work with ARMA. It was difficult learning on your own without sufficient resources. A group could provide the bare essentials needed to survive so you didn't need to worry of such paltry matters. On the other hand, her independence would allow Morrigan to personally aid the young woman without intrusive creatures going on about rules and responsibilities with magic. If you could control it, and you had cause to use it, then what was the problem?

“I’m afraid that I am not familiar with ARMA.” Guin poached a few packets of artificial sweetener from a container that sat between them on the table. “Is it a company of wizards such as yourself?” A few shakes of each pack before she poured them into the steaming brew and then stirred it into a sweet blend. “Yes, cream cheese. It is like a buttery substance…made of cheese. Very delicious, yes? It even has different flavors. My favorite is blueberry. And you can eat it with almost anything. Eggs, meats, breads…” Thou art rambling again… the First warned her and Guin lifted the ceramic tea cup to her lips. The brew was still hot so as it hit her tongue she inhaled sharply and quickly put it back down. “Dragons?”

Not one, but plural. Two dragons. It was basic knowledge of the dragon living and ruling in what used to be England. However she was unaware of a second dragon. “Me? I’m an actor of sorts. I mean I’ve never been on television or done anything noteworthy. I mostly work Ren Faires and act in small playhouses up and down the Eastern coast. It doesn’t pay much, but I get by.” The voice in her head guffawed a merry laughter which made Guin roll her eyes. “I don’t have the resources that a steady income could afford, or ARMA, but resources aren’t everything…right?” Ah, such naivety. Child, thou lack the sensibility of thy companion and the zeal of myself. To prevent herself from responding out loud to the obvious taunt, Guin pinched off another piece of her chocolate croissant and chewed it grudgingly.

“Like I said, I know a few tame spells. But I am sure nothing of your caliber.” She looked at the staff and its assortment of accessories. “I have nothing like that. Though I am sure I could craft something. It would be useful in my act at the faires…” Tapping the tea mug with the tips of her fingers to test how hot it was and finding it to a level of her liking, Guin drank deeply and finished the croissant in only a few bites. “Shall we get started with some basics?” She dusted the crumbs from her hands and brought out one of the two books that Morrigan had suggested she purchase. “What will this book help me accomplish?” She displayed the cover for Morrigan and then opened the book to the introductory page. 

"Truly. Tis two Circles that vie for dominance. There is The Order of First Light, who would be approachable were it not for there all too consuming zeal. ARMA is the other; currently they have humble ambitions of protecting the innocent." Slowly Morrigan lifted her cup to her lips to take a slow sip of the potent brew. "You could say I am a hopeless freedom fighter." A smile slid over the Magess' dark lips. From one band of 'underdog' would-be-Heroes to another. Some nights she stared up at this world's moon and wondered if her life's course was true. Did she fight for the right side? It was hard to argue that Azazel and the Order would be inclined to pursue all manner of mystical ability -- they were driven to an all-consuming desire for domination.

Guin commented on the cream cheese then, however, and drew Morrigan back from a brief moment of reflection. "A strange thing," she replied slowly. "Though this 'cheese' is often strange to me. I am not surprised to find it in cream form no less so." Another smile as she explained a 'foreign' woman's impression of the world's food. It went without saying that a person could take for granted the food and spices one ate regularly. There were many dishes from her world she wish to have each day. Still, the food on this world was not terrible.  Most of it was edible. Some of it, however, was most foul.

Soft laughter followed her pleasant companion's surprise at more than one Dragon present in the world. "Quite. Where I am from there is no shortage of their gargantuan size."

A soft hum followed the woman's question. "No. No, they are not everything," Morrigan agreed with a slight nod, "however, they can provide quite the boon if used properly." Which was another matter. A person could have all the resources in the world and still be nothing more than a bumbling fool; while someone bereft of everything might slowly unravel the many mysteries of the universe. Still, resources and education would help them along to newer and far more interesting matters sooner than later; or provide that opportunity to those that were not born prodigys.

Guin again mentioned 'Faires' and how something like her staff would be useful at such a thing. Curious, then, what these faires were.

"By all means," Morrigan said with a small smile. She set the half eaten muffin aside and made sure to slip her beverage out of the way so it wouldn't topple onto anything of value. "Magic," she began, "is a power of the mind. Or 'soul' if you wish." She'd heard Humans talk of these 'souls.' Sounded plausible until they started expounding upon the idea... then again, Morrigan had arrived suddenly from another place in existence. But was this Earth then Heaven or Hell? Tsk. "That book provides mental disciplines to open your mind to the power that flows around and through you. A Mage without control tis but a monster best put down before they slaughter those they sought to protect." What was that phrase she'd heard? "I believe someone recently summarized it thusly, 'You are either the Puppetmaster, or the Puppet.'"

She paused to take a sip of her tea. "I expect you will go much further than 'a few tame spells,' Guin." Morrigan smiled for a moment once more. "I would like you prepared for when the time comes. When you unlock the secrets of your own tome."

• 2 weeks later...

ARMA, by Morrigan’s description was like a group of modern day knights. This thought excited the First, so Guin made it a point to think about something other than anything that might remind her of the good old days. It only worked as long as her companion at the table did not speak too much or for too long. “And you’re with this ARMA, group?” Guin brushed through the first pages of the book; introduction, table of contents, dedication and went to the first chapter. As she was reading, Morrigan went on to describe the purpose of the book and how it would apply to her. At the moment there was no need for Guin to employ any great restraint with the abilities that she did currently have. They were not destructive nor particularly harmful.

“Well I am certainly hoping to go further,” she smiled over the top of the book to the dark-haired girl that sat opposite her. But what she was hoping for Guin could not rightly say. She did not want to be some great Mage, but neither did she still want to be the nobody that her life was currently trapped on a repeat cycle. It also did not help that the First was in her head, constantly reminding her of exactly how stuck she was. Guin closed the pages of the first book and picked up the second one that Morrigan had advised her to purchase. “What about this book?” Like the first she turned it over to briefly review the back and then flipped it open to the first chapter.

"I am," Morrigan replied to Guin's inquiry. "I study magic and artifacts, and I supplement the field agents. Every Guild needs those that come to understand magic in new and unexpected ways; to remain unpredictable and to counter our enemies. Tis much preferred to foraging in the streets for undercover agents of The Order." A short smile followed the explanation. Oh, yes, new understandings were the utmost importance to Morrigan -- especially in this world where the supply of mystical energy was either too low or too different to allow her to fully utilize everything she'd learned over the years. Perhaps, someday, she would uncover the secret to unlocking her full potential. What she would do then remain unclear. Inevitably be forced into another  battle with Azazel no doubt.

Guin lifted the book that Morrigan offered first in the store previously. "To help understand the language in your own tome. Unlike some, I don't see any reason we should avoid examining the source material further. There will be plenty of time to learn how to control it properly as we go." The otherworldly Mage was not the Good Sage that prepared the wayward Hero mentally, physically, and spiritually for some great power that would come years from now when they were "ready." A Mage was ready when she figured out how to cast a spell and managed not to kill themselves in the process. If someone was foolhardy enough to do it before they felt mentally prepared then why should Morrigan tie their hands and chastise them? The fallout would do that for her -- provided they survived. "Though," a smile returned, "I would advise starting at the beginning." Who put the most powerful spell on the first page? Someone with a sense of humor perhaps. Did Mages possess a sense of humor? She supposed Alistair did. Cassandra was exceptionally jovial. Perhaps they did.

• 3 weeks later...

She reminds me of someone… Guin did not dignify the voice in her head with any response; neither verbal, mental nor with any facial expression to show. She was studying the book in her hand, but only a cursory read of the introduction that explained what she would find in the pages within. A young lady I once knew, when I was someone else for a time. Ah, but then I was not really her and she was not I. The Namesake closed the pages and tucked it gently back into her bag, nestled beside the grimoire and other purchase she had made that day. “You’ve been a great help to me today. Unfortunately I have to go.” However reluctant she was to leave, Guin did have other matters she needed to attend.  She produced a pen from her bag and using one of the coffee shop napkins quickly jotted down her phone number for Morrigan.

“Here, take this,” she passed the napkin across the table. “I would like to hear from you soon. Until then I’ll do some reading.” Smiling she stood up and lifted the strap of her bag over her head so it rested across her torso from left shoulder to right hip. “I have a feeling we’ll be great friends.” Ever the optimistic she was. Aye, great friends indeed! The First was more devious than her vessel and there were ulterior motives yet to be discovered. Guinevere did not spend millenniums suffering in sanatoriums, locked in the minds of the insane just to learn some lighthearted magic at the hand of such a naïve young girl.

Archived