SITE NEWS
  • EXCITING NEW PLOTS COMING SOON, LOOK FOR UPCOMING POSTS IN THE PLOTTING AREA THAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ON THE SITE TO JOIN!!

January 24th, 2018

3am

It was long past midnight, the forever tinker lingering at her workbench in the back room of the shop.  Jesse had already checked in and locked up, leaving her to obsess over a project that had taken far too long to finish.  The leading on the glass was almost done, winter weather slowing down the project considerably since there was only enough times she could ventilate the room without freezing to death.  It was the third time in a year she’d rebuilt glass in the shop from one act of stupidity or another.  If it didn’t let up, she was going to have to stalk the streets at night like a superhero keeping the supernatural world at bay.  Sleep be damned, it was still fleeting without the extracurricular activities.  A sense of helplessness was building tight in her chest, a grenade ready to pop unless she found an outlet for the fate she’d woven together.

She was not helpless though, not by any stretch, too long denying the powers she’d been given for the sake of protecting what she’d built.  It was no longer an option.  Training had gone well in the last four months, the new blades acquired form a rather formidable source already being put to good use.  It was a strange transformation.  Normally cordial, quiet, in love with elegant, feminine and graceful things… at heart she was still a scrapper; a “bitch, please” snap to her features when necessary, a punch sealing the deal.  It took a lot to get to that point, but apathy at stupidity was a skill she treasured.  Putting weapons in her hands?  It was, odd.  The frightening speed at which she could move making her hesitate often.  To commit to use that kind of force against something threatening wasn’t new to her.  She just didn’t want to revisit how brutal she could be.  She knew, more so than many, she had the will to do what was necessary at any cost, to anyone.   It was why she hesitated; a road that was already traveled had to have another path.

Unable to keep her mind on the project, she shut down for the night, flicking off the lights and padding through the dark shop toward the couches in the back.  Slouching a jeans clad frame into the larger of the two leather flop chairs, legs were pulled up over the opposite arm with her back to the fireplace.  The book she snatched from the side table had been rifled through countless times since the explosions several blocks over- the scent of blood still fresh in her memory from pulling people out of rubble and destruction. 

It had been too familiar, scent of burnt flesh and cleaved skin, memories not her own sinking to the very core.  It was almost as if the woman was laughing at her for finding such a thing unimaginable.  Other horrors from another time so far beyond what had happened near Times Square.  The ‘nightmares’ had almost made her exorcise the damn woman.  She did NOT want to banish her little friend from existence, the unusually silent and sulky haunt that clung to her almost knowing exactly what was churning as she looked through the worn book she’d acquired from a less than trustable source.

Rorye knew what she’d promised Alistair.  This wasn’t a hoodoo book, not in a magic sense anyway.  It did however fit pieces together for what she might construe as an answer to her problem.  She wasn’t normally an avid relic hunter.  Having the skull was enough to deal with, but this… this might solve multiple problems in one hit.  That left her with one option.  She’d never been one to ask for help, ever.  This problem was hers to solve.

Rifling through it, lower lip was chewed on absently as the fire flickered behind her, mahogany plait hanging over the arm of the chair.  It was now or never.  Rolling up, she changed from her normal flats to boots, striking the heels on the floor to seat properly and pulling her jeans down over them.  Workshop was revisited, sheaths strapped on and blades snapped into place on her forearms, black leather coat pulled on and zipped up, underside of her wrists zipped open.  Long knitted scarf wound several times around her neck, the playfully frayed plait pulled out. Keys.  Messenger bag with said book.

Trek across the city in the middle of the night wasn’t normal, for her it was, ducking into the first subway drop to slide onto the first train.  She’d heard about it, in her role as the crossroads of the information highway.  A guy, that knew a guy, that had a guy make something.  Magic-ish.  Sigh came out soft as the lights in the tunnels zinged by in her nearly deserted train car, not second guessing herself for a second.  Could she ask Arma?  Ya.  Could she call Alistair himself?  Ya.  But she wouldn’t.  It was a habit she couldn’t break.  Independent.  Not dependent on anyone to save her ass.

No.

Proud.  She was proud to a fault.  Not willing to give up the fight yet and admit she couldn’t find a footing in the new world.  She wasn’t a joiner, or a follower.  She didn’t take orders from anyone.  Maybe it would be her undoing, but at least it was her decision to make.

Car lurched to a stop and she got off, trekking up a rather dark stairwell to absolutely nothing but darkness and broken down warehouses on the harbor.  Cracked and disintegrating concrete was now a habitation for snow drifts and brown dead weeds.  Chain link fences.  Razor wire that had in some places toppled off the tops in waterfalls of dangerous.  Third from the depot, hands slid into her pockets and she squinted into the sky, making her way toward the one she thought might be it.  Nose red from cold, expression frowned, stepping over a twisted length of fence to knock on the only door she could find.

Easily 2:15, maybe 2:30. The clock was out front in the store. Johann was up, watching the Tatara. 

It was a labor of love, creating, managing, and destroying the clay oven that produced proper Japanese steel. A customer had come to him, nearly a month prior, asking for a functionally exact replica of a Masamune sword. Johann had nearly laughed in the man's face.

[johann] What kind of person asks a dragon to replicate the work of a human?[/johann] 

Disgruntled mumblings came from the dragon's mouth, but money was money, and he did need to pay the rent this month, so he'd taken the job. The client would likely never use the blade, since he'd been an old man who wanted it in a shirasaya.

Johann had nearly bitten the man's head off at calling a shirasaya a scabbard. There was also the matter of the man requesting solid gold for the scabbard, traditionally made of plain white wood...until he provided the gold ingots with which to create it. Then it was just a matter of swallowing his pride as a swordsmith and abandoning tradition.

[johann] Krishan? You still here?[/johann] Of course the man wasn't there. It was long past the time a human would be awake, and Johann didn't like to force them to work night shifts. Such frail creatures, and he could manage the Tatara on his own. Constant poking at the embers, shifting of the chunks of iron ore, activation of bellows, and managing of the exit streams at the very bottom of the furnace. It would be done in about eight more hours, and Johann would be left with more steel than he could possibly use on just one blade. This would give him enough for ten or twelve high quality swords, and a bunch of steel for those less insistent on high grade metals.

Johann stepped away for just a moment to get himself a cup of water. Dragons of fire get hot too, ya know. There was a knock at the door. [johann] Coming! [/johann]

He downed the water quickly, making his way to the door and opening it. Johann wasn't exactly afraid of anything that might come to rob his store. He wasn't easily knocked out, and he had the home-field advantage in terms of weaponry. Being trusting was a luxury he could afford, as a dragon.

[Johann] Good... early morning? I guess it's morning, technically. Please, come in.[/johann] He motioned into the shop, closing the door behind this apparently human individual. [johann] So, welcome to the shop. I may have to run back to the forge, have a Tatara running back there, and i've got to keep an eye on it, but it should be OK for a little while.[/johann] 

The dragon was rambling. He wasn't out front a whole lot for a reason. Super awkward dragons are super awkward. [johann] Sorry. Never actually introduced myself. Johann Eligius, Eligius Bladeworks. So, how can I help you?[/johann]

It was a long shot.  Usually her intel was accurate.  People trusted her- that person that everyone seemed to talk to because she had the reputation to never spill.  All the stories, the interesting conversations, fit together in her head like a puzzle- a confidant, that occasionally used it for her own benefit.  This was one of those moments.  She sniffled softly, reaching her hand from her pocket to rub a cold nose.  From a warm and cozy leather chair next to a fireplace, to a deserted, freezing and run down batch of warehouses off the water.  This was ludicrous.  She should be home in bed.  Shoulders shrugged up as she waited, casting side glances to make sure she was still alone.  The wind was worse here.  Always.

Maybe her intel had been wrong, reaching up to  knock again.

" Coming! "

Hand paused.  Okay, great.  Hopefully she wasn’t breaking into a drug deal or some weird shit.  Damn… the door opened with hesitation, the warm heat sucking her attention into vast space behind him.

" Good... early morning? I guess it's morning, technically. Please, come in."

Brow cocked slightly, sniffling again as she smiled and stepped inside.

" So, welcome to the shop. I may have to run back to the forge, have a Tatara running back there, and i've got to keep an eye on it, but it should be OK for a little while."

Holy shit, she was in the right place.  She knew better than to doubt people that trusted her with their interesting tales.  He was, unusual to boot.  Savants usually fell into that category, which was the reputation she’d gathered of him.  Dark eyes scanned the vast room and then settled back on the dragon she had no clue was even a dragon.

" Sorry. Never actually introduced myself. Johann Eligius, Eligius Bladeworks. So, how can I help you?"

“Nice to meet you Johann, I'm Rorye,” she pulled a hand from her pocket to offer a hand to shake.  “Rorye Shannon.  I’m not sure you can help, but from what I’ve heard…  you’re the guy to come to for the unusual,” voice was always calm, soft, humming with a rich warmth.  “I definitely am in the market for blades that are, unique.  Something unbreakable, light, aerodynamic.  If you handle those types of things... I'd like to talk.”

She squinted around the room again.

"Sorry about the timing, I'm a night owl."

His smile was slight as she looked about the room with wonder. [johann] They're beautiful, aren't they? Each one has a story.[/johann] 

The shop was filled, wall to wall with blades and shields and other metallic things of great beauty. They were unique, no two ever forged just the same. Each was an exquisite piece in its own right, but to Johann, some were blank, while others were filled with personality and power. 

"from what I’ve heard…  you’re the guy to come to for the unusual,”

[johann] The pleasure is mine, Miss Shannon. And the unusual? It usually looks ordinary.[/johann] The dragon smiled again, plucking the benchmade folder from his pocket. [johann] This here is made of the highest grade steel, enchanted with a number of added resistances, and this rather unique property.[/johann]

A wrist flick and the blade was out. It rapidly started to glow before bursting into flames, which Johann doused. [johann] No need to be coy about it. I make and enchant blades, shields, jewelry. You name it, if it's metal I can make it. [/johann] He sat down across from her, passing the blade across the table.

"Something unbreakable, light, aerodynamic.  If you handle those types of things... I'd like to talk.”

[johann] The heavier the blade, the stronger it can be made. The more enchantments, the weaker the blade ends up. Oh. And don't worry about the time. The Tatara must be managed nearly constantly for 72 hours once the fire is lit, so I'm on a night schedule this week.[/johann] The dragon stood. [johann] I'm sorry to duck back into the forge, but I cannot let the metal sit for too long. One moment, please.[/johann]

He disappeared into the back, stoking the fire, poking at the embers at the bottom, and checking the excess runoff. 

Tamahagane was good steel, so it was worth all the effort in the end. 

About five minutes later, Johann would return to the main room, a long obsidian rod in tow. Johann had connected it to the sifting tool currently resting in the bottom of the furnace. [johann] There, I suppose this will make it easier to have a conversation if I don't have to head back there every five minutes.[/johann]

[johann] So, Miss Shannon. what were you looking for in a blade? Strength, speed, and what else?[/johann]

" They're beautiful, aren't they? Each one has a story."

Nod was warm.  She felt the same about books.  Who had read them, owned them, coveted or cast them aside.  She often found herself reading the scribbled annotations in the margins and wondering who had written them, and what else was going through their thoughts as they read the same text.  Listening quietly, she looked again around the room, then to his neat party trick with a quirked smile.  Sure, he could do enchantments, but could he… she sat politely, examining the blade he offered.  This, was not an area of her expertise.  A lot of reading had taken place over the last few months, but she was far from an expert.

" The heavier the blade, the stronger it can be made. The more enchantments, the weaker the blade ends up.”

Hm.  That did cause a bit of a problem.  But, was she really looking for an enchantment?  The ponder could have been mistaken for a thorough examination of the piece he’d let her look at, watching him excuse himself with a nod.

" I'm sorry to duck back into the forge, but I cannot let the metal sit for too long. One moment, please."

It was definitely a fascinating skill.  One she was interested in learning… however, she knew a lot about a lot of things- expert on the occult and all things known magic, and even some that were rumored to be in existence.  Adding blade work to that was daunting, she was already wading through the skill portion of the game and doing quite well. 

" There, I suppose this will make it easier to have a conversation if I don't have to head back there every five minutes."

Smile was soft.

" So, Miss Shannon. what were you looking for in a blade? Strength, speed, and what else?"

She thought a moment, trying to decide whether or not to be strictly up front, or ease into the request piece by piece; feeling a bit like being in the principal’s office.  Would this guy tattle on her?  She had never talked about this, or herself quite in these terms without someone standing next to her that understood.  The altered occult shopkeeper had to own it at some point.

“I have these,” nimble fingers produced the formidable shortblades that were sheathed under her sleeves and set them carefully on the table.  “They are fantastic, made for me by another rather interesting blacksmith.  Been training with them.  I’ve been looking at… karambit… it was suggested to me.  I have certain skills that make it a great…offensive and defensive option.  I would like to maybe talk about blades for that.”

Ease into the conversation…  instead of, “hi, I can channel an ancient chick that has skills I want but she’s a bitch so I only want her out when I ask.. I have.. potentially, this doo-dad that I want smushed into a pair of swords, do you have anything for that?”  It wasn’t like she was asking advice on cold medicine, though she was beginning to doubt he would bat an eye if she spilled the whole issue right out of the gate.

“I’m altered, incredibly fast.  Blade strength is an issue because of the force I can hit something.  I figured karambit might be more effective than just a blunt hit.  Thoughts?”  smile was tentative.

• 3 weeks later...

Blades emerged from sleeved arms. Impressive crafstmanship. The steel was good. That was not so much a rarity as it had been, some years hence. [johann] May I?[/johann] The dragon motioned to the blades, implying his request to examine them as she spoke.

He hefted a blade, running one hand across the surprisingly light steel. Blacksmiths had their little calling cards on their blades. Some called it their signature style, but it could be as minimalist as a little reversed stitch on a katana hilt, or as ornate as an engraving on the blade itself. Nevertheless, the dragon mused, these were indeed fine blades. [johann] Abe is a fine craftsman. I assume you are not looking to replace these, but to supplement them instead?[/johann] 

He stoked the fires, pushing and pulling on the obsidian rod quickly.

She explained about looking into karambits. It seemed she had an understanding of the small knives as a fighting style, rather than as weaponry. [johann] Karambits are definitely supplemental weaponry. They're usually small, though the principles of the grip can be applied to any blade size. [/johann] 

Ah. Enhanced speed and strength. Weak metal wouldn't cut it. High grade steel. Anything beyond the usual enchantments would take immense heat, but that was what he did, right?  [johann]Small sarambit blades turn punches into claw swipes. If your fighting style fits that, they'll work for you. The karambit's metal ring is a finger breaker or a tool for stronger grip. Short is usually the style with karambit blades.[/johann] The longer the blade, the more stress it would put on the tang when it struck something it couldn't instantly cut.

He prodded the fires again. Karambits would probably be the most effective for striking, since they were nothing more than tang with a curved sharp edge. Solid steel.

[johann] So, why come to me for a stronger blade? There are many who have learned the essentials of enchanting for these basic improvements you seem to want. Most of them are more centrally located, too. [/johann] There was something this woman wasn't telling him. If she'd heard of his reputation, she knew he did more than just strengthening.

She was out of her element.  Usually she was the buyer, negotiating a fair price in exchange for something unique a client and even herself was looking for.  She was a dealer, but it was always on her terms.  This was strange, and especially dealing with her powers it was territory untraveled.  It was a bitch to be the newbie in a new arena.  She hated it, and she learned quickly.  This was not going to be a novice field with her for long.

" May I?"

Relinquishing her blades, dark eyes watched him examine them with great interest.

" Abe is a fine craftsman. I assume you are not looking to replace these, but to supplement them instead?"

She nodded quietly, hands calmly in her lap,  “have been training.  A little late to the party, but I’m making up for lost time.  These longer blades are wonderful… still looking for a wider range of weapons to sheath in various places.”

Karambits would be gracefully deadly in her hands.  They also would suffice nicely in a situation where the longer blades could potential hit something solid.  At her speed, something would break… either bones, blades or the object.  She didn’t like the chances against her.

"Small sarambit blades turn punches into claw swipes. If your fighting style fits that, they'll work for you. The karambit's metal ring is a finger breaker or a tool for stronger grip. Short is usually the style with karambit blades."

Nodding again, it made sense.  She was not afraid to get up in someone's face.  There was no power in her hands that could strike from far away.  Mages were archers, she… was a soldier.  Up close and personal.  There was no other way, she had to be better than her opponent.

" So, why come to me for a stronger blade? There are many who have learned the essentials of enchanting for these basic improvements you seem to want. Most of them are more centrally located, too. "

Fingers tapped on her jeans a moment.

“I need to bind something, someone more specifically.  I want the skill when I need it and not all the drama that’s come with her tagging along.”

She wasn’t going to lie, but was hoping he would take her confession in stride.  It wasn’t his reputation.  Expression was hopeful.

“I’m not sure if it’s even possible.”

• 4 months later...

Johann had kept a mostly stony face during the conversation, as he was wont to do. Then came this woman's confession of sorts.

[Johann] How strange and wonderful this universe is! Controlling a possessing spirit is indeed a challenge. [/johann]

The Dragon let a wide grin crack his face nearly in two. [Johann] and to think my apprentice would be so helpful so soon! [/johann] A deep laughter burst forth from Johann, rumbling about the shop like happy thunder.

[Johann] Ah, sorry. My apprentice is a wonderful young man from South Africa, I believe the place was called. He's a bit of an artist with boundary spells and enchantments. I wonder whether the boundary between you and this spirit will be enough for him to use. [/johann]

The smile had not yet faded. [Johann] Possible? My dear, that word is redefined every day! [/johann] He truly believed it-possible was what someone did that defied convention. Plausible was the real concern.

[Johann]Miss Shannon, I accept your challenge. [/Johann] The work had just gotten interesting. He might even do it at a discount. It wasn't often his prowess was tested like this, and what good is a dragon if he can't handle the heat?

February 22, 9:00 AM

[Towen]The necessary calligraphy won't fit as normal. The blades aren't long enough. [/Towen] Johann growled and melted the steel back into molten form with a claw. [Towen]Tell me again? Why can't I just do this with paper and make a replacement grip set? [/Towen]

The tall man set down his pen. It had been almost a month, and yet neither he nor his teacher had gotten proportions right-the blades that fit the inscriptions were too unwieldy and ill-shaped. Johann would never release them to the world.

The blades Johann liked were too small to fit the enchanter's writing.

March 13, 4:58 PM

[Johann]TOWENAAR!I'VE GOT IT! We use the ring! The blade is solid and carving it will ruin its aesthetic and integrity, but we can use the ring and hide some of the text under the handle scales. Get me the text again? [/Johann]

The Dragon beamed. He'd figured out how to solve an unsolvable problem, and still make the blades beautiful.

March 23, 2:04 PM

The forge was blazing hot-thermometers on the walls had cracked and the dials were spinning. These blades had to be so carefully tempered and then imbued that great heat like this was the only option.

A pyre of flame shot into the air as Johann began to mold and shape his art, mana from the dragon's body flowing through his claws and into the metal. It glowed red hot, pulsating with Johann's will and thoughts. This was a scene of unfathomable beauty and near-incomprehensible precision. It was a shame no camera could survive the heat to film it, thought Johann.

Gauntletted hands manipulated the metal, inscribing,in miniscule detail, the words his apprentice had spent the last month perfecting.

There was a sudden whoosh of steam. Johann quenched the blade in a special oil designed not to harm the blade as it rapidly cooled and shrunk.

[Johann] One down. [/Johann] The Dragon carried it over to a cleaning station, sprayed down the still-warm blade with water, and took a piece of steel wool to remove any roughness.

Cleaning done, Johann stepped away to the front, sat down in his reception area, and collapsed, reverting to human form as he sunk into the cushions.

March 30, 1:32 PM

The blades were done. It was time to call the client, and pray she liked them.

[Johann] Miss Shannon? This is Johann, from Eligius Bladeworks. Your blades are ready whenever you'd like to come test them. [/Johann]

It felt like the same dirty deal in the middle of the night, dipping into a subway drop to emerge far from home and her comfort zone, then wading through brown grass to the warehouse she'd found before.  There was a sharp surge of anticipation, mixed with the same constant thought she needed to get a car.  Why was it she needed a car more now than she had ever before?  She was branching out, becoming more social beyond her own neighborhood walls.  She needed to get a car, but first she needed to get her blades.

Testing them.  What exactly did that mean?  The wicked little voice in the back of her head would stay in the back of her head.  At one point she felt guilty about binding and using something that she was so reverent of in her family's history.  But, she hadn't clung to her in the first place, maybe she'd invited it to stay, but whatever was being wrought was mutually beneficial.  Red's poweful expertise unleashed when it was most needed, the entity got to experience everything that the shopkeep did... no longer driving the boat.  That was most important.

Hopping over a fallen chain link fence, door was knocked on a few times, hands pushing into her pockets to keep out the early spring chill and wiffing a waft of hair from in front of her eyes.. 

Testing them. 

It was chewing away at her, not knowing exactly what to expect, and expecting so much at the same time.  He was an interesting individual and she was looking forward to putting her feet to the fire... no longer interested in ignoring what she'd been given for the sake of keeping things the same.  It was time to grow up.

There was a small fan at the counter. It wasn't that hot, but still it was nice to feel a bit of a breeze. To that end, most of the windows onto the shop's private land were open.

Eligius Bladeworks was situated in a warehouse district on the harbor, and Johann had staked a claim on some empty water-facing property right behind his shop. There were all sorts of cutting tests set up, along with some instruments desjgned to test shields. There were even iso-chambers for testing unusual enchantments.

Oh, and it had a few beach chairs on a clear patch in the corner. Sometimes you just need to stare at some water. Johann was out back, doing just that when Rorye knocked.

He faintly heard the sound and went to open the door. [Johann]Good evening, Miss Shannon.[/johann] How odd this one was, he thought. She had no need to arrive so late, and yet, both times she had.

[Johann]Please, come in. I'll get your blades. There's water on the counter if you'd like.[/johann]

The Dragon slipped back towards the forge and scooped up three metal items plus a soft and velvety black cloth.

The blades were long (by standard karambit lengths), but the lines were clean and the balance was excellent. These would be deadly in the right hands, especially when paired with the third object. Johann placed the blades on the cloth for Rorye to inspect them. He waited a few moments before producing the third item, a silvery ring made of a steel and silver alloy for durability and magical potential.

The ring lay in the center of the mat. [Johann] It may look large, but it will auto-size. This should theoretically seal the spirit inside you. We couldn't figure out how to do the sealing without a point of constant contact, and the Karambits almost serve as a key. When one comes into contact with the ring, it releases the sealed spirit until you sheath them.[/johann]

The blacksmith had let his apprentice make a pair of molle-strapped back-sheathes for the blades, each one linked to the same enchantment on the ring.

Johann produced these sheathes as well from beneath the counter, and laid them before his client, a smile across his face all the while.

Lower lip was being gnawed on, hands tightly in her leather coat pockets.  Even from out here she could feel the heat emanating from the door, soft on her cheeks like a light sun in the spring.  She was anxious, the push at the back of her skull from spirit that was pissed at her pounding the start of an awful headache.  A smile wisped across her features when the door opened and she was greeted warmly.  She liked him, he seemed kind when so few were.

"Please, come in. I'll get your blades. There's water on the counter if you'd like."

She nodded and stepped in, thinking the water might be a good idea a bit later.  He’d said something about trying them out.  She wasn’t exactly sure what that would mean, or what would happen.

The wistful smile turned into something grand when she saw them for the first time, tentative fingers picking up one.  It felt, right.  Like the blades from Alistair’s trip, these felt right too.  They fit her hands like gloves, the weight, the balance.  It was almost unfair to anyone she pulled them on… but that was the point right??

“These are exquisite, absolutely perfect.”

It was the ring that drew a tentative breath.  Something magic.  Something magic other than the skull that warned her of danger.  She’d watched the others use them like tools.  Now, it was her turn.  She wasn’t exactly sure this would go well.

" It may look large, but it will auto-size. This should theoretically seal the spirit inside you. We couldn't figure out how to do the sealing without a point of constant contact, and the Karambits almost serve as a key. When one comes into contact with the ring, it releases the sealed spirit until you sheath them."

“I’m not exactly sure what’s going to happen,”  voice was incredibly quiet.  Fingers played with the blades, an obvious skill to what was being held in her hands.  “I want to make sure that… this is going to be safe for you in case something goes awry.”

She blinked at the ring, still unsure whether to pick it up and put it on.

“Not a very nice spirit… something that will benefit from being bound and unleashed only at opportune moments.  Are you… are you sure you’re ready for this?”

She was, barely a breath as she waited for confirmation..  She definitely was, but would feel awful shitty if she ended up hurting him somehow.

Johann beamed. She liked the blades.

He could feel her apprehension about the ring. It was untested, but Towen had assured him the enchantments were completely functional and safe.

The Dragon nearly burst out laughing at Rorye believing she might hurt him. [Johann] It's ok. We've got an isolated chamber out back that should contain any sort of magical backblast. I'll be fine, but you may not enjoy the feeling of a backblast. [/johann] Serious eyes drove his point home. A magical synchronization like what was about to happen could cause an explosion akin to a small bomb of it went awry, usually safe to whomever was at the center. Rebounding the waves back inside the iso-booth would produce a violently queasy feeling for whomever was in there, but they'd at least be alive.

[Johann] Besides, there isn't much that could seriously harm me. If you feel confident, try it here. If not, well...[/Johann] The man smiled, motioning towards the door to the testing area.

She blinked at the laughter, knowing he was a bit odd… not sure why her concern would spur such a response.   She liked him, but he was an odd duck.

" It's ok. We've got an isolated chamber out back that should contain any sort of magical backblast. I'll be fine, but you may not enjoy the feeling of a backblast. "

…blink was caught again by the extreme change of expression on a dime.  This was not his first rodeo.  She wasn’t sure if that made her more nervous, or feel a bit better.  He had a bunker if the magic went awry, which meant it had during his tenure as a blacksmith and procurer of magical things.  It could also mean he just knew what the hell he was doing.

" Besides, there isn't much that could seriously harm me. If you feel confident, try it here. If not, well..."

She wasn’t confident.  She was determined, picking up the ring and sliding it onto the ring finger of her dominant hand.  Left it just happened to be.  He was right, the ring immediately drifting down to fit snugly on the digit.  The rest, was a bit of a blur, a thousand pinpoints of light beginning to flicker in front of her eyes.  Floating raindrops that she couldn’t touch, hovering for only an instant before pattering metaphorically against her skin in a firestorm.  Skin crawled from the sensation, each a little bubble of memory, impulse.   Sadness, fury, it was all there from a mind that wasn’t hers, the constant voice now a cacophony of a lives experience racing down her arm to throb into the ring like a burning ember.

The shopkeep ended up on her ass, dizzy, reality warped, tempted to pull the thing off with a clink.  The heaviness of her left hand seemed immense as she picked it up from the floor where it had broken her fall.  She could hear nothing, no voice, no whispers, felt no impulses of anger or hate.  It was all in there, trapped inside that small ring and waiting to be let out.  Stomach turned, swift swallows trying to keep herself from losing her dinner. 

It took a few moments to attempt to get up.  Pushing herself to her feet, she thumbed it.

“That was a party, I would hope it worked. If not, I just pissed off a very pissed off ancient.”

She waited a moment, catching her breath before even daring to look at the blades.

“A place to try these?   I’m not really sure how she’ll react to being brought back out after that.”

He’d told her not to be concerned, but she genuinely was.  She knew what Red was capable of.  She had her memories, and had seen the viciousness.

Johann watched his client intently. She slipped on the ring and immediately he felt mana flowing from her to... her? She was literally arcing magical energy out of her body and into the ring.

It was something he did not often see, this melding of spirit to item. Usually it was obscured by the intense flames of his forge.

Suddenly, the energy stopped. Rorye collapsed, and Johann' knelt to check if she was ok.

[Johann]You alive? [/johann] The Dragon touched his stationary and somewhat stunned client on the shoulder. Dead people were bad for business. Humans were so fragile.

She stood and spoke,and he breathed a sigh of relief. [Johann] The ring is saturated, so there's something in there. As for testing the cutting edge, that's up to you. Got some mats and things out back, but you know your demons best. If she needs a rest, give her one. [/johann]

He was concerned for her, she couldn’t express how much she appreciated that when so many people in this world didn’t give a shit.  She was used to paying for something and then being told to get lost.

" The ring is saturated, so there's something in there. As for testing the cutting edge, that's up to you. Got some mats and things out back, but you know your demons best. If she needs a rest, give her one. "

Nod was quiet.  More than anything, SHE needed a rest.  Still a bit unsteady on her feet, it most likely wasn’t a good idea to push the gamut of boundaries of what she’d just done until she knew what her body was going to feel like for a few days.  As much as she wanted to, he was right.

“I’m not feeling the greatest, I’m going to head home.  Is it okay if I come back tomorrow and try the blades?  I think I need to see how this feels for a day before I pull them out and let her loose,”

Having paid for them already, this was a real test to see if he cared about his craft, and her.  To make sure she was okay, then see it in motion.  If earlier manifestations were any indication of what could be unleashed, she would need a day of rest under her belt.  Red was a force unleashed, and a temper like she'd never seen.  If there was any way the woman could take over control, she would find it.  Rest it was.

She was alive, if a little unsteady on her feet. Of course she could come back the next day. How silly of a question. One does not simply labor over a project and then do something so unceremonious as hand it off without so much as a happy customer.

[Johann]You absolutely may come on by tomorrow. Probably should have had you test the edges first, huh? [/johann]

The Dragon picked up one of the blades and a sheet of thin paper. A gentle slice,and the paper lay in two. [Johann] I'll get these all packed up for you. Probably not wise to touch the handles until you're ready for whatever that is to come back out. [/johann]

Johann retrieved the blades, their sheathes,and a hard case with slots open for the necessary items. In went a soft cleaning cloth, one of his cards (which she had anyway),and then he paused. [Johann]Did you plan on honing these yourself over time? [/johann]

Depending on the answer, Johann would retrieve a set of whetstones and outline the honing process on an index card before closing up the case.

[Johann] Same time, same place, then? [/johann] There was a warm smile as he slid the box across his counter to her.

"You absolutely may come on by tomorrow. Probably should have had you test the edges first, huh? "

Smile was a bit wistful as she nodded.  She felt a bit pale around the gills, watching the man test the blades.  This was beyond what she had hoped for, incredibly pleased and terrified at the same time.

" I'll get these all packed up for you. Probably not wise to touch the handles until you're ready for whatever that is to come back out. "

She nodded again.

“It might even be a few days, depending on how long it takes for this vertigo to go away,” she started, it felt as if she had a knot in her gut.  Something staring out from her very core that was a bit moire pissed than she’d assumed at first.  “I have someone that’s been a great help so far.  I’m not a mage, but abilities I have pose a bit of a problem with speed.  These are going to take some time.  I doubt they have the expertise that you do in case something goes awry. “

"Did you plan on honing these yourself over time? "

Head cocked slightly, not knowing exactly what that was, “I’m sorry, I don’t know what that is.  Can you show me?”

This was all a new world to her.  She’d never needed weapons before.  Now she had two sets.  Seemed she’d already made a decision which direction she was going to go.  Stay a shopkeep, but join the Justice League.

[Johann]Please, take your time. It's not like I'll be going anywhere soon. [/Johann]

A warm smile. Vertigo was not something he understood, but it certainly did not sound pleasant.

She mentioned having someone who could help. That was good, but it was better that she understood the importance of coming to the source when a problem emerged.

Ah. She was still new to the world of blades. He had forgotten.

Johann fetched a set of whet stones and laid them out on the counter. [Johann]These are called whet stones. They act like sandpaper to preserve the fine edge on blades. You basically remove any burrs incurred by use and preserve the edge geometry of the blade. That's how you make sure your strikes are consistently strong and impactful. [/Johann]

Here, the dragon retrieved a simple steel throwing knife and poured out a bit of water into a small dish.

[Johann]The edge geometry is determined by the grind. That can be hollow, flat, chiseled, convex, or really any number of shapes. This knife and your karambits are flat ground, which means they're easy to clean and maintain. Pour water over the stone like so, then align the flat of the edge with the stone, make two or three passes. Flip the blade to the other side, and repeat. This makes sure the blade... [/Johann]

Here, the dragon paused. Had he been rambling too long? Impossible. Blades were always interesting. [Johann]This makes sure the blade stays clean. Still, once a year, bring them by, and I'll do a proper sharpening. A re-grind if you will. I shave off just a few micrometers of material and basically the knife feels like new. It's standard blade care. [/Johann]

The Dragon brought over an appropriate stone set for the case. [Johann] Is all that of interest for you? [/Johann]

Again, she felt green.

Growing pains were nothing but a pain in the ass.

"These are called whet stones. They act like sandpaper to preserve the fine edge on blades. You basically remove any burrs incurred by use and preserve the edge geometry of the blade. That's how you make sure your strikes are consistently strong and impactful. "

Large coffee eyes were intent on paying attention.  She ran a business, was sharp as a whip, and could soak up even the most minute details very quickly.  The throb on the front of her forehead was starting to go away, but the weariness in her limbs kept her from doing what she really wanted.  She really wanted to pull them out and try them.  Body felt like it had run a marathon.  If she did decide to try them, how fatigued would she be then?  It was a better idea to do it tomorrow.  Same time, same place.

" Is all that of interest for you? "

Braid bounced slightly as she nodded.  She had been listening so intently, she’d forgotten her malady for the moment.  It reminded her of making good tea.  There were ways to store it, steep it, pour it. Different types of water to get better flavor, different cups a change of timbre in the scent, the possibilities were endless. He spoke like he loved the art, which gave her significant confidence in the blades.  If only she was as sure of stuffing such a volatile entity into a tiny ring on her finger.  Was she trapped?  Did she feel trapped?  She would definitely know the first time she tried to unleash hell.

“Got it,”  she said, gathering everything up and getting it into her bag for the trek home.  “Thanks for your time… it’s not the easiest thing in the world trying to get a handle on powers long after they manifested.  Kinda of ignored them for a while and found myself behind the eight ball.  You’ve been great.”  Smile precipitated her move toward the door, “I’ll see you tomorrow, same time same place, we'll see these in action...”

Archived