SITE NEWS
  • EXCITING NEW PLOTS COMING SOON, LOOK FOR UPCOMING POSTS IN THE PLOTTING AREA THAT WILL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL ON THE SITE TO JOIN!!
  • Last Call

Nyriala Cassian

4:28AM

The Sidhe reached up to her neck, long fingers pressing against the flesh as she mimicked the human motion. Whether or not the fae actually got tight muscles was up for debate. She was, after all, not at all the human she looked. But she played the part well enough - certainly well enough that anyone without genuinely supernatural senses wasn't going to be picking up on her costume anytime soon, and even most of those who did have them wouldn't have the easiest time. Her kind, after all, thrived on their myriad disguises and deceptions. She would have died at a very young age indeed, if she couldn't make her glamour convincing.

[fae]Mmm... Charles...[/fae] she purred, leaning against the bar and looking across the floor - littered, despite the high class of the establishment, with various detritus from the night's festivities - at one of the bouncers. He wasn't the largest of them, but then they had not been chosen for size... not in most cases, anyway. The man lifted a brow. He was quieter even than most of the others, to the point that people often wondered if he spoke at all, and so it was that the fae made it a point of poking at him when the opportunity presented itself.

[fae]Be a dear and clean up for me, won't you please? There are soooooo many bottles to fill...[/fae] The man looked at her for a moment, then cracked a small smile and went back to his work. Ny clucked, tongue against the roof of her mouth as she drew herself back up to stand, returning to the light work she still had to finish out. She imagined by this point some of the other staff was still clearing out a handful of patrons, by her count six remained in the back rooms. It was the nature of clubs like this one. No one wanted to leave on time. They would be reminded, at least... or she was stirring the next drink she made for those people with her finger.

Not, of course, that she didn't sometimes provide that service on a more pleasant basis. All intoxicants were poison of one kind or another... the sorts she could produce were unlike any the inhabitants of this world had yet experienced. Oh, sure... most of them weren't what one would call 'approved for consumption', but truly, where was the fun without some risk?

In truth, she hardly belonged in a place like this. In her way she was every bit the predator the club's less public patrons were, but without their necessary limitations on who she could bite, if she so desired. But she found ways to have her fun. She always would.

Hand rubbed over his features as he sat at the desk in the back office, door cracked open so others could get a hold of him if needed. He was still suffering from jet lag. To be more specific, still recovering from twelve hours of panic attacks. Stupid flying.

Leaning back in the leather chair he gently rolled the fire opal ring around his finger, absently spinning it in an endless unbreakable circle. He was still getting used to the wedding band that quietly told the world he was taken. He had spent almost a year with a pinky ring that said the same thing but the rest of the world didn’t identify it as such. Now it was on display and unlikely to ever be removed. They had only returned from Scotland two nights ago so the "announcement" was not yet made to his staff. Private by nature, he didn’t really intend to say anything, problem was, most in his club made it their job to notice the little details, he doubted it would be a secret for long.

Fingers pinched the bridge of his nose, brow dipping before he reached for the half empty glass of scotch. Amber liquid sloshed gently as he stood and made his way back into the club. It had been a long night of "pawing". After more than a month gone, his regulars were eager to fawn over him as he made his rounds and winked and flirted with everyone, nodding at Nyriala often throughout the night to serve up a free glass just to extricate himself from their clingy attention.

[fae]Be a dear and clean up for me, won't you please? There are soooooo many bottles to fill...[/fae]

Smirk lit the corner of his lips as he came around the side of the bar. Hand slid into the dark gray slacks pocket as his elbow rested on the bar in front of the Sidhe, the last of his scotch vanishing before the glass was set down for a refill.

[gabriele]…I am gone just a couple weeks and you are already sweet talking the rest of the staff to do your dirty work?[/gabriele]

Dark eyes flicked to Charles and nodded towards the back rooms instead.

[gabriele]I am not running a Motel 6… let's get the stragglers out on the street Charles. Call a cab if they need it. [/gabriele]

Two were just "pets" back there but the third was a vampire, the only one of real threat to the big bouncer but he knew how to handle himself. As the quiet man made his way towards the back the Spaniard half turned to him. [gabriele]If there is any trouble, the male is the one to control.[/gabriele]

Charles merely nodded before disappearing down the private corridor. Second hand slid in a pocket as he stood off the bar and carefully looked the club over for the first time since his return. Didn’t appear to have blown apart in his absence.

[gabriele]Any trouble while I was gone?[/gabriele]

Words were quiet as the dark eyes finally found the Sidhe's.

Ny turned on the spot, leaning her other hip against the bar as she faced the establishment's owner, a broad smile on her lips. [fae]You can't blame a girl for trying, can you?[/fae] she said, affecting a very slight pout to the honeyed contralto of her words. It wasn't a serious attempt, of course. The dangerous thing about having a Sidhe around was exactly that they might try to manipulate the situation to their advantage. Really, there was no 'might' about it. Particularly where the 'High' or 'Greater' Sidhe were concerned, they were born and raised in a culture that would put the noble cold wars of human antiquity to utter shame. Everything about her was a potential lie - her beauty, the unnatural grace of her movements, the perfectly honed voice that could easily have given her a stellar singing career... All weapons, in their own way. And not at all uncommon among her sort. The nobles among the Sidhe were the most like humans - and in that likeness, very likely the most dangerous.

[fae]I could always mix them one last drink, if you like.[/fae] she murmured, just loud enough for her employer to hear, and the smile she flashed was short lived this time, merely a spark before it faded again and she was back about her business, long fingers selecting another bottle to pull the spout from before she reached for a fresh bottle from the stock. He would surely know what she meant by that. It was a low-key way to get someone out. Offer a fresh drink, on the house... one that simply happened to be laced with something more exciting than the usual alcohol.

[fae]Nothing aside from the usual. Of course it takes a few days for anyone to be sure you aren't here. A little longer, I think, before anyone becomes comfortable making trouble. But you know, they always seem to find their night ending early.[/fae]

Of all the employees, there were none who seemed less of a threat than Nyriala. She was slender, only a little over average height, a figure much more at home among the dancers than the bouncers. She concealed a great deal of danger behind that lovely facade. And she took a certain delight in handling problems once in a while before the bouncers had a chance to see to it. Those who had roused her ire enough to be on the receiving end of her particular brand of treatment tended to come out of it somewhat worse for wear when compared to those the bouncer staff had encouraged to leave.

Gabriele being away did give her a bit more room  to play, in that regard. Although she did have to remember her limits, sadly... wouldn't want to upset the proprietor, now. She was, after all, being a good Sidhe. Employed, contributing to society...

The very thought almost made her laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

Brow slid high at her attempt to pout at him, even she didn’t take the effort seriously, amusement ghosting over his lips. They were an odd pair. One might say fate interlaced their stories, if one believed in that sort of thing. The Spaniard was more prone to simple say he was in the right place at the right time.

[fae]I could always mix them one last drink, if you like.[/fae]

Dark eyes flashed an accusatory glance towards the honey murmured words, hint of a smirk still on his lips.

[gabriele]…and how many received such a parting gift while I was away?[/gabriele]

Response was barely audible as head shook faintly, question rhetorical. The Shadow had a reputation for being exclusive, posh and "safe". If his fae bartender was off drugging his clientele every time he turned his back, they were going to get a different sort of reputation quickly. But unlike those he had found her with, the Spaniard was not one to try and "control" her.

[fae] Nothing aside from the usual. Of course it takes a few days for anyone to be sure you aren't here. A little longer, I think, before anyone becomes comfortable making trouble. But you know, they always seem to find their night ending early.[/fae]

Amber flecked orbs slid her way, grin still ghosting at the corner of his lips. Between herself and Jacob he was certain that was true. It was a strange array of misfits he had accumulated as staff. One might say he had a habit of taking in the strays, but somehow it worked for the Shadow. Perhaps because he himself was a misfit stray.

[gabriele]As long as there were no known casualties.[/gabriele]

It was a subtle way of saying if there were bodies, they better never have been found and their disappearance never associated with the Shadow. Hip slid onto the stool across the bar from her, finger tapping the empty lowball glass.

[gabriele]Going to dehydrate me here or what?[/gabriele]

Head tilted slightly listening to a tussle in the back, waiting to see if he had to intervene but the keen senses quickly noted that Charles had it under control. The bouncer was quiet, but a mack truck even against a vampire. Handy to have a man on staff that could bend steel. Attention returned to Nyri, glass tapped once more, grin boyish.

[gabriele]..well?[/gabriele]

• 2 weeks later...

Ny blinked a bit, drawing a soft breath and looking aghast at his faintly accusatory tone, fingertips lightly placed over her collarbone. [fae]Oh, only a few I am sure... And surely you have more faith in me than that, love.[/fae] Her textbook look of innocence cracked, her smile turning into a decidedly playful smirk as she lay her hands back against the bar.

[fae]A Sidhe only lets herself be found out when she wants to be, you know that.[/fae] she admonished, winking at his impatient query as she swept her palm across the bar, smoothly swiping the glass out from under his tapping finger with one hand while she deftly plucked a bottle of his favorite from the crystalline shelf behind the bar with the other. As usual, her movements had a floating, faintly inhuman grace about them. It, along with her many other pleasant attributes, made her a distracting choice of barkeep for most of those who came.

[fae]I do so adore the mortal habit of slaking their thirst with a dessicant...[/fae] she purred, pouring a double and then sliding the glass back over to him before she claimed a second glass and poured one for herself. This one she lifted to him in toast, beaming. [fae]And a very warm welcome back to you, boss.[/fae]

For her part, she really hadn't killed anyone... this time. There had been times that had seemed necessary, but as it was, all she had required was a light touch, enough to make the evening enough less than pleasurable that they would leave on their own - or find themselves incapacitated more quickly than they expected. It no doubt came as a surprise to them how quickly simple drinks could knock them off their game when there was a sidhe pouring the beverages. Not that they knew. As far as anyone but the staff knew, she was just a human. An exceptional human, perhaps, but certainly nothing dangerous. As always, she hid best in plain sight.

[fae]Your travels were fruitful, I hope?[/fae]

[fae]…And surely you have more faith in me than that, love.[/fae]

Her smirk was matched by his own. They both knew having faith in a fae was like having faith in the fickle wind. It came and went as it pleased. It was odd from the beginning that she hung her hat in his bar, even more so that she had lingered this long. He never kidded himself that she "owed" him anything, her rescue had been merely a byproduct of taking out one of the experimentation labs on his quest to get to the bottom of the vampire involvement in the plot to "train" zombies.

Again, right place at the right time, nothing more.

[fae] A Sidhe only lets herself be found out when she wants to be, you know that. [/fae]

Chuckle was dark and warm in his chest as her deft fingers floated the glass out from under his fingers.

[gabriele]…I also know that a sidhe only lingers so long as she is amused.[/gabriele]

Amber flecks caught light in the brown orbs, a boyish façade on the normally too serious expression.

[gabriele]..am just trying to gauge how much you "amused" yourself while I was gone.[/gabriele] [fae]I do so adore the mortal habit of slaking their thirst with a desiccant..[/fae][gabriele]..that's what I am afraid of.[/gabriele]

Again the chuckle warmed the air as his glass slid once more towards him, now full, powerful fingers catching the slide, rich mahogany within sloshing softly before he lifted his glass a bit in answer of her toast.

[fae]And a very warm welcome back to you, boss.[/fae]

Eyes watched the liquid a moment, smile a bit distant as he nodded.

[gabriele]Good to be back, though wouldn’t have minded a couple more weeks.[/gabriele]

Normally he was too eager to be home again. When he left the club unexpectedly, something his staff was very accustomed to, it was to hunt down a lead on a lab which meant he returned within a few days, a week at most. This trip had taken him away for a month. In his defense, he had not originally expected to end up in Scotland, nor married.

[fae]Your travels were fruitful, I hope?[/fae]

Nod was silent as he stared into the glass a moment before finally bringing it to his lips. More fruitful than he could have ever imagined. Tongue snaked to capture the heady liquor from his lips as the glass lowered once more.

[gabriele]It was, bit unplanned but definitely worth the trip.[/gabriele]

Dark eyes roamed the quiet of the bar, grin slipping to chase away his serious mood before looking back to her.

[gabriele]…you know. If I knew the place would run so well without me, I would go on trips more often.[/gabriele]

Right hand rested on his thigh, air a lukewarm scent of well…  Los Angeles.  Sometimes that could be a great thing, sometimes not. Tonight, the wind was blowing off the water, a refreshing breeze to push the lingering smog away for at least a day or two.  Not nearly as terrible as it was years ago, but still a major reason he lived on the water. Visor was flipped up as he rode, roads almost deserted.  After last call, they usually were.  Dangerous to those that didn’t know what was what.  Freedom to someone that wasn’t afraid of a fight.

Bike revved once before he shut it down and pulled of his helmet, not even bothering to brush the spikey disheveled mess into anything presentable.  Shaving had been out of the question for several days too, a dark gray tee shirt pulled down over low slung jeans that had been fished off the bachelor pad floor.  They were clean, just hadn’t made it to the dresser drawer.  Somehow, the bouncer still managed to make everything look like a polished, carefree existence.  It was a quick stop before he returned home and started his “evening” routine.  Run and swim, then to day sleep for his shift the next evening.  Drop off the new schedule, head home to keep working on the Mustang until right before dawn.  His few days off were coming to a rather quick end. 

Ears were keen before locking the helmet on his seat, Charles.  Smile was easy, nodding to the man as someone was politely helped on their way.  He was used to all kinds, even the not-so-human ones.  He, after all wasn’t quite in that category either… able to pretty much determine who was who.  Something to do with his mojo, the way people smelled or something.  Being able to mix chemical cocktails of his own just seemed to heighten his ability to scent those that weren’t quite the norm.  Never tried to figure it out, wasn’t really interesting enough to.

This guy, wasn’t normal.  His companion, was, and he was drunk, and pissed.

Jacob pulled a piece of paper from his back pocket, reading it over for a moment to confirm the schedule before flashing a brilliant, easy smile.

“Great night?”

Charles nodded slightly and continued them on their way, he was capable enough without him, slipping through the door before it closed to hear a voice that had been absent for far too long.  Making a beeline for the worker’s commons, nothing escaped his attention.  Not even the nice outfit Ny had on for the evening.  Schedule posted, his chuckle was particularly to himself.

“I see that boss,” he said from the back room, slipping open the fridge to snatch a water and crack it open.  Nearly half was chugged before returning and sliding into one of the stools like a repeat customer, a surly quirk to his brows as he watched Ny for a moment.  Gaze flicked to Gabriele.  Of course he hadn’t elaborated exactly what he’d seen.  Only… that he never missed a thing.  Water was tipped back again, gaze resting on Ny as he finished it and put the cap back on the empty bottle.

She was nice to watch.

Yep.

No secrets there.

He wasn’t a moron though, he kept at least an arm’s length.  Always.  Not that he didn’t trust her…. …    ……nope.  Nope, he didn’t trust her.

“Okay,” both hands placed themselves gently on the counter to get up, a bit hurt he wasn’t invited to whatever shindig Gabriele had been off gallivanting on.  “Good talk.”

He slid off and quirked a brow at Gabriele, a two finger salute at Ny as he snatched his bottle and tossed it in the trash behind the counter.  Missing.  Dammit.  He liked to watch her, he didn’t like to get close.  It was kinda like climbing into a spider web.  But, he wasn’t an asshole.  Walking quickly behind, he swiped his bottle and tossed it into the trash, the twinkle of his dogtags bright, snatching the poured drink from under Gabriele’s fingers and downing it for himself.

“I’m gonna need this more than you now, old man."

• 2 weeks later...

Gabby was certainly right in one respect - it was strange that she hadn't left sooner. But she had taken something of a liking to the place, and there was at least a part of her that reveled in the defiance of expectation. When he'd agreed to let her stay, she imagined it had been with some apprehension... and the assumption she would not stay long. So for a while she had just been staying to test him. There was no real reason behind it. Just the endless impulse to push that she had. And she did learn so much about humans, being in a place like this. Not to mention the others who wandered through. It provided certain unique opportunities.

[fae]Well then, you know perfectly well that I have remained amused then, do you not? Reason enough for my presence.[/fae] she purred, placating him slightly, but that wasn't oveerall her intention. [fae]My dear. 'Only boring people are bored'. Isn't that the human saying?[/fae] Her smile turned decidedly wicked as she used the annoying turn of phrase, then she turned away to tend to a few other minor concerns. Not least of which was her own drink.

[fae]Ah ah - you know better than to give me ideas, love.[/fae] she said, looking back over her shoulder and winking once to the last comment. After all, she still might decide to take the place over, were she given the chance. Even she couldn't predict that. Like the wind, she went where she was taken, at least some days.

Her smile broadened when Jacob came in, going straight for the water. A pedestrian choice, perhaps, but he usually had reasons. Naturally, she affected a slightly different way of moving when he came in. She always had a sense for when someone was watching, and when it was the right person... well, she played it up a bit. With Jacob, she didn't have to pretend to be human, either. [fae]Hello Jake. Rough night, darling?[/fae] She favored him with a smile before she went back to working, pointedly ignoring the silence between the two men, though when Jacob missed with the water bottle, she held a hand in his path.

[fae]Now, now... I can get it.[/fae] she said, dropping her voice an octave or so before she bent down and retrieved it, depositing it into the trash. She gave a throaty chuckle at the drink theft, and walked over to the pair with a second glass and a refilled bottle. [fae]Oh, are you two going to kiss? Because I would love to watch. Or are you going to fight, because... Well that might be an even better show.[/fae]

• 2 weeks later...

[fae] Ah ah - you know better than to give me ideas, love.[/fae]

Chuckle was soft in his chest. They were an odd pair.

There was the barest quirk of his brow as he heard the bike settle in outside the club. A silent inward groan tickled his chest. Jacob. Nothing got by the head bouncer; which was admirable in his line of work and why the Spaniard had taken him under his wing. It also meant the Shadow owner never could keep a secret in the damn club. He had hoped for a few more days peace and quiet before sparing with the man. If he was lucky, the night would slip by without event and he would have a few more days to figure out how to answer the questions he was sure would come.

He was never that lucky.

“I see that boss,”

The internal cringe was violent. This time the groan murmured softly in his chest.

[gabriele]…see what?[/gabriele]

The words were softly half growled, half grunted into the darkness that the bouncer still had not stepped from. When the playboy finally made his appearance, the dark orbs followed as he popped up onto a stool near him. Brow quirked at the silent triangle before Jacob as always broke the tension with his acerbic humor.

“Okay….good talk."

The Spaniard couldn’t help a faint quirk of his lips as the younger man smacked the counter and stood up again only to miss his "suave" exit by misfiring the plastic bottle. But the humor was short lived as his drink was snatched and downed.

[gabriele]…that stuff is about twelve hundred a bottle. Not exactly gulping material Minor.[/gabriele]

His tastes had never been cheap. The bottles set aside for him were rarely given to the customers.

“ I’m gonna need this more than you now, old man.”

Brow quirked at the bouncer as he took the second glass from Nyriala and savored the liquor more appropriately.

[gabriele]Lushing on me Jacob?[/gabriele]

[fae] Oh, are you two going to kiss? Because I would love to watch. Or are you going to fight, because... Well that might be an even better show.[/fae]

Chuckle was dark and warm as it rumbled softly in his chest.

[gabriele]…I am too tired tonight to teach him how to do either.[/gabriele]

Grin was wickedly charming, for a moment the age that marred the corner of his eyes and peppered his temples melted to a more boyish appeal. The Spaniard had his moments.

• 3 weeks later...

"Hello Jake. Rough night, darling?"

The chuckle warm in his chest hid -and told- volumes.  He never really found relationships to be his cup of tea, mostly because the whirlwind one night stands were so entertaining.  Unfortunately they tended to linger on his features longer than he liked.  Sex was like a battery, while she slept post fun time, he usually was in his garage working on his car, and didn’t skip a beat as the sun rose straight into his morning swim and jog back along the beach to his bachelor flat.  She was typically gone when he got back, and it usually meant the night owl crashed right away.  A nice bath from the swim, and no motivation to shave, unless he was working.  Couldn’t look like a scrub when everyone here was so… enchanting.

His silence was a bit playfully bitter.  Gabe didn’t seem to favor being forthcoming with exactly where he’d been and what he was up to.  Never really was.  Sometimes he didn’t feel like a member of the Nation at all.  He wasn’t invited to the festivities, what the fuck was that all about?  Eyes quickly fluttered upward to where he knew the man now attached to Gabe’s hip was probably sleeping.  Or getting into trouble he had to clean up, expression a bit like an older dog that now had to deal with a energizer bunny puppy in the house- soft frown as Ny offered to grab the bottle he’d missed the shot with.

"…that stuff is about twelve hundred a bottle. Not exactly gulping material Minor."

“Good, that’s how much you owe me in overtime for being a good host while you were gone ,” he muttered and swiped a highball glass to fill again with water.

"Lushing on me Jacob?"

“Do I need to?” scruffy beachcomber sat back on a stool now that he was being spoken to like part of the club, a little closer to the owner this time.  Elbow rested on counter, no longer hovering like a bee around flowers… now expecting some sort of explanation.

"Oh, are you two going to kiss? Because I would love to watch. Or are you going to fight, because... Well that might be an even better show."

Dark lashes blinked as he tipped up the water, “could do both at once, “ he muttered into his glass at the inside joke at the expense of his own abilities.  “Entertain you too… at the same time…” voice echoed into the glass.

"…I am too tired tonight to teach him how to do either."

Deadpan glare was not amused, “nothing to teach.”  He finished his water again, glancing to Ny and pointing at the ring on the man’s finger.  “Did you know about this?  …cause I’m feeling a bit left out here because I wasn’t invited.”  He scowled at the Spaniard, “does this mean I have to teach pocket protector how to throw a decent punch?  Being attached to you isn’t exactly the smoothest gig in the world.”

Yah... he was the old dog all right, annoyed at the new pup already.

• 2 weeks later...

Ny really was somewhat perplexed by the pair of them. It was odd, the way people danced around things in this world. Oh, sure, her kind were notoriously coy when it came to the truth, but not about matters of the heart. That tended to be a foolish and painful enterprise. And as to matters of passion... Well if you were going to have fun, just get on with it. The rest of it was only making things difficult.

One comment the owner made brought the sidhe to a pause, though. [fae]Twelve hundred? Stars... and here it would be barely passable at a Sidhe party.[/fae] she clucked her tongue a few times, admonishing nothing in particular as she continued topping bottles off for the next evening. She didn't miss Jacob's comment either, a brow quirking upward as she regarded him and the mutter into his glass. The smile she flashed him was brilliant, yet somehow cold all at once.

[fae]Think so little of me, do you?[/fae] she purred in the same manner - only subtly different from her earlier flirting, but there was a world of difference in the depths of her tone. All the same, it was gone as quickly as it appeared, the Sidhe humming an unknowable tune as she slid glasses back under the bar into their proper places and lifted a hand to push it back through her hair.

[fae]I do believe I'm starting to think I may be intruding.[/fae] she said, a definite note of cheer in her voice as she flashed them both a smile, wandering over to the door that led into the back, through which she disappeared. Not out of pique, mind, but there was something else about people: they tended to be strange about airing their dirty laundry in full view of anyone else. And it was a certain degree of good policy not to air that sort of business in front of a sidhe, really.

You never knew what they were going to do. Even if, to this point, Ny really had been unusually good natured and even some level of trustworthy. Gabe really could have come back from his trip to find the entire place burned down, and to be frank... Well it would have been no one's fault but his own. Perhaps she just found she could be less predicatble by not being the wild and destructive person most expected of a proper Sidhe.

Perhaps she hadn't decided yet.

Dark eyes watched the banter between the two. It was an odd family, but it was his family. Something he took very seriously and protected with extreme prejudice.

“ Good, that’s how much you owe me in overtime for being a good host while you were gone"

The reaction to the price of the bottle drew a chuckle that rumbled like sonic thunder in the Spaniard's chest.

[fae] Twelve hundred? Stars... and here it would be barely passable at a Sidhe party.[/fae]

Air expelled softly from his nostrils in a huff.

[gabriele]…have had some of that stuff….doesn't compare.[/gabriele]

Dark eyes flashed a grin at the Sidhe, needling her on purpose perhaps. He had a healthy respect for what the woman was capable of but also recognized the tenuous thread of respect that still tied the two together.

Dark lashes were low as he looked at his glass again, content for the scruffy head of security to be sitting closer now. He couldn’t resist the jibe at the man's expense, he liked Jacob, always had. But the head of security had turned surly quickly, noting the gesture to his wedding band and glance to the Sydhe.

“Did you know about this?… "[gabriele]....I didnt know it was going to happen until it did...[/gabriele]

The interuption was soft, not enough to halt the scowled tirade not typical for the younger man's nature.

“… …cause I’m feeling a bit left out here because I wasn’t invited. Does this mean I have to teach pocket protector how to throw a decent punch? Being attached to you isn’t exactly the smoothest gig in the world.”

Brows furrowed gently, causing the weathered crease above his nose to accentuate. There was a protective swell in his chest that was controlled and sent back into his gut quickly. Jacob sounded almost….. jealous. And the Spaniard knew he wasn’t trying to attack Bo.

[fae]I do believe I'm starting to think I may be intruding..[/fae]

Lips had parted to say something to Jacob but closed as he looked at the woman retreat to the back room. Since when was she worried about intruding? Brow quirked before looking back at Jacob with the same quizzical look. But the expression faded looking into the younger man's eyes, a quiet sigh seeping his chest as the expression softened. Power fingers played with the rim of his glass, dark eyes fixated on the slosh of amber liquor as he spoke.

[gabriele]…hadn't planned on being gone more than the normal couple days.[/gabriele]

Thumb absently spun the fire opal around his ring finger as the scowl darkened his expression.

[gabriele]…got hunted down in New York and literally fled in the middle of the night.[/gabriele]

Hand came up to run over the scruff that was a tad more than a 5'oclock shadow at the moment.

[gabriele]Truth is, am pretty sure they were hunting him, not me. So instead of coming back, took him to Glamis so could formally pledge. Wanted him to have the protection of the Nation.[/gabriele]

The often haunted gaze slid down to the fire opal, finally acknowledging what had already been alluded to, a faint pull upward at the corner of his lips.

[gabriele]…and just sort of asked him there…. or… we asked eachother…[/gabriele]

The smile lingered a bit more, clearly thinking of things he was not going to share before he cleared his throat softly and drank from the glass, keeping it in his fingers as he added.

[gabriele]…sorry about the blackout on communication, but not like there's a cell tower out there you know.[/gabriele]

It was true, across the pond and so close to dragon territory they had not dared to put towers out in Scotland. Glamis had hard wired lines but, he had not exactly stayed in Glamis for more than the first night.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe he was jealous.  The suave brute wasn’t really quite sure what was making him bristle.  The thought that the he was being replaced?  When he’d had nothing, Gabe was something to him.  Gave him stability, a reason to get back on the straight and narrow.  As a human he was dangerous, as an altered… he didn’t want to go back to the possibility he would be on his own.  It wasn’t that he could control himself, or that he wasn’t strong enough to keep himself in line- he just knew what a dark place he’d come from.  He respected Gabe like his brother, and that was saying a lot.  Now his brother was occupied.

What was the old saying?  Bros before Hos?

Tongue came out quietly to squelch the thought, a rather guilty look toward the Spaniard that the thought had even popped into his head.  Blues slid toward Ny as she spoke.

"Think so little of me, do you?"

“On the contrary,” the snarky humor had returned in the blink of an eye, his own suave smirk at the Sidhe one that seemed to pass between them often.  He didn’t know much about her, but he could smell a predator from a mile away.  There weren’t many oceans he wouldn’t jump in, but she was one of them.  And then, she recused herself.  Traitor.  He needed to leave too.  Next shift would come too soon, fingers tapping quietly on the counter as he listened to the man’s excuse and watched his smooth fingertips noiselessly drum.

“And how am I supposed to protect you when you leave without warning?”

Lips pressed together.

Betrayed.  That’s what it was. He was so easy going, so flippant about so many things.  The life of the party, always a joke on hand.  With this place, he took it seriously.  He belonged there, and he thought he meant more to the Spaniard than just to disappear in the night without a word and left to deal with people he didn’t trust nearly enough.

“I need to get some sleep,”  the comment was a final one.  “Or get laid and get no sleep…  “

The humor had returned.  There were many things he wouldn’t talk about.  He wondered truly if Gabe knew how much he considered  him family. He was the only ‘family’ he had after all.  Powerful frame slid smoothly from the bar chair as only the graceful bouncer could manage, taking a moment to peer into the back room and blow Ny a playful kiss on his way out.  He paused a moment, enough to glance back at the owner.

“Congrats,”  the words were quiet before he slipped out the door.

• 3 weeks later...

Brows dipped a bit. It wasn’t like the bouncer to be so standoffish. It was almost like he was…. jealous. It wasn’t like Jacob and him ever could have been married…Jacob didn’t swing that way. So…. what was spurring this?

He had not missed the faintly guilty look that had flicked his way either. Just what the hell was Jacob thinking about.

“I need to get some sleep,….Or get laid and get no sleep… “

Dark brown orbs narrowed as the man was dismissing himself. It was not that easy to walk away from the Spaniard. The older man was sensitive and didn’t like things left… messy… with family.

Movement was smooth as he slid from the chair, powerful arm wrapping around the bouncer's shoulder, fist pressing against his chest to pull him back against the larger man's own. Breath was slow and deep as he said nothing at first. He wasn’t sure what to say, wasn’t sure what Jacob was struggling with to draw this out in him.

Eyes checked that the Sydhe was still around the corner before the forehead thumped affectionately against the back of the man's skull.

[gabriele]You are my family Jacob. This does not change that. Nothing ever will.[/gabriele]

Fist gently thumped over the bouncer's heart before releasing and stepping back, hands sliding almost sheepishly into the pockets of his slacks.

[gabriele]….including any amount of walking away…by either of us.[/gabriele]

Hand rubbed over the unruly curls as the dark eyes hid behind the thick lashes.

[gabriele]…am sorry you weren't there. Would have been nice to have… you know… someone that would stand up with me.[/gabriele]

There were not many that would do so for the Spaniard. Bo had had his sister, but the vampire… well he had smiled and said he didn’t need anyone. That wasn’t entirely true.

Archived