Riley Smith

State of welfare in New York?

Hello!

With everything upturned, what is the state of welfare? IE are food stamps still a thing, gone back to the literal stamp booklets? Is medical care for the impoverished still available? Are there the usual drives from churches donating things like blankets, jackets, clothes, etc. still happening, or is it too dangerous now? I apologize if it's already detailed anywhere, I am still exploring the site :) 

Thank you in advance :)

New York is the most "back to normal" location so while there definitely would not be the volume of places there once was there still are pockets of places for the impoverished to go. That said because 60% of the population vanished there are tons of abandoned apartment complexes etc... so not normal to see for example "homeless" because they would take up residence in one of the not used buildings.

Hope that helps!

Ooh, right! I don't know why that detail completely escaped me, I literally JUST read that part today. It helped immensely, thank you!

I love it that people ask questions to remind us all about just what life is like. I would suggest that though NYC might be the most back-to-normal place, it would still be very, very different. I would guess having any fruit or vegetable year-round would not happen.  Many goods that previously came from far-away places would be rare or non-existent. 

And with so many people having enhanced abilities, wouldn't that exacerbate wealth gaps and even class polarization?  

I would love to have people added detailed changes they believe or imagine are now part of life. 

Banana distribution was pretty well established in the early to mid 1900s. Sea monsters and zombies would slow things down, certainly, but the technology is still there. Bananas, for example are a big export for India and Central America and Caribbean. Indian bananas would be a near impossibility for North America, due to how quickly they spoil. Caribbean ones, however, would be a great cash-cow for central and South America. 

Tropical is a new luxury food for colder-climates, now maybe? 

There's actually established lore somewhere about part of Central Park being used to grow food in the city itself. If I remember correctly another place too, but its been a little so I forget where the stuff's located off the top of my head. Some stuff ends up being established in post with permission from staff. There's a good bit of info. around in regards to things that are different/same such as: http://resonancerp.com/index.php?/index.html/postshift/the-state-of-the-world-r569/

Quoted from the above link(now I remember the other stuff, it was in this link):

Because of its cold climate, the EAA has turned to hydroponics to help feed its people - many of the more heavily damaged and abandoned skyscrapers in New York have been converted into massive 'Garden Towers', filled with hydroponics and artificial lighting. These buildings supply the majority of New York's fresh food. Meat is sourced largely from upstate New York and other rural areas - there are places where cattle live amongst the ruins of old neighborhoods, grazing on the grass of hundreds of abandoned lawns.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.